“Once you decide on your occupation, you must immerse yourself in your work. You have to fall in love with your work. Never complain about your job. You must dedicate your life to mastering your skill. That is the secret of success and is the key to being regarded honorably.”- Anonymous
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to job shadow at a family dental practice. I had never job shadowed before, and after trying it out, I could not be a bigger supporter of it. Job shadowing enabled me to visualize myself fulfilling the tasks of a dental assistant.
Below are my top 5 reasons why you should give job shadowing a shot:
1. As humans, we have a wide-range of interests, why not dive in and learn about them firsthand?
2. Textbooks are great, but communicating with professionals in a particular field adds an entirely new element to learning.
3. How cool is it that job shadowing allows us to witness the daily tasks of a profession without forking over thousands of dollars in tuition money?
4. Job shadowing is voluntary. Therefore, you are participating because you want to. You have the power to decide what you walk away from the experience with.
5. In my opinion, there is no down side to job shadowing. Whether you see yourself in a career or not following the experience, the time spent is valuable.
Even if you are in love with your career, I recommend job shadowing a position that you find interesting or no little about. Ever wonder how the day of a firefighter pans out? What about a coffee shop owner? Let’s seek out opportunities to learn and grow both personally and professionally!